After what felt like an endless winter, spring finally has arrived, and people are craving time in the outdoors. The National Parks are booking up quickly for camping reservations. After a year of staying at home, Californians are on the move. According to Fromm, the top 10 nature destinations in California are:
- Redwood National and State Parks
- Point Reyes National
- Lake Tahoe
- Mount Shasta
- Yosemite National Park
- Big Sur
- Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve
- Channel Islands National Park
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
You could follow the crowds and head out to the parks, or you could stay at home and create your own natural wonder in your very own backyard. Build or renovate your deck. Add an outdoor kitchen, a hot tub, or a cowboy pool to soak in. Create the perfect outdoor kitchen and BBQ up a storm. Instead of one week in the park, you will get to enjoy your remodeled outdoor deck all year long.
Double the size of your living space by bringing the outdoors into your indoor experience. There are endless deck renovation ideas. Ask your deck renovation contractor to create a platform garden to grow your herbs and greens right outside your kitchen door. Add a fire pit for gathering the family for evenings of stargazing, storytelling, and smores.
Plan a swimming pool deck remodel. Turn your old swimming pool into an oasis that rivals any Five Star Resort. Decking renovations come in many sizes and shapes.
The Average sizes and costs of Outdoor Decks
The average cost of a outdoor deck renovation in the USA will run from $14,000- $100,000+ for a complex pool and spa design.
According to Remodeling’s Cost vs. Value report, a composite deck returns 66.8% of the cost, while a wood deck brings a resale value of 72.1%. Deck remodels with all the bells and whistles, similar to an outdoor entertainment areas, can range up to 2,000 square feet in Los Angeles.
However, they generally remain between 200 and 400 square feet. Deck sizes in downtown L.A. tend to be smaller but are higher and have multiple levels. Costs can range from $40,000 to $60,000 for a new decking but increase with extra features. For example, when the deck extends and includes more significant amenities, like a swimming pool, costs range between $100,000 to $150,000.
Remodeling a Deck- Things to Consider:
- Best time to build- if you live in an area that experiences frost, you need to wait for spring when the ground thaws. The alternative is to dig the holes for the footers before the frost, and then you can work around the weather.
- Type of deck- will it be a fixed deck, floating deck, or attached deck? – Floating or freestanding decks are at ground level. Attached or fixed decks require special footings, use guards and handrails, and connect to the home. Because this deck design is complex, most homeowners will hire a deck renovation to build.
- Return on investment- Consult a Los Angeles realtor in your area and determine what buyers are investing in. How much will this improve the value of your home when it’s time to sell? What deck renovations are popular in your neighborhood? Visit a few open houses before you hire a deck renovation contractor.
Outdoor Deck Renovation Materials:
Pressure-treated lumber is the most common material used in the lower structural part of the deck construction. Many great options are popular today for finishing the top area of your deck.
- Composites: Most composite materials are made of recycled plastics and wood fibers. Wood composite is a good material due to its softness underfoot and durability. Wood composite decks do not need staining or sealing, either initially or at any point in their lifespan. Composites’ colors can fade over time, especially in sunnier areas. While composites are low-maintenance, they are not maintenance-free. Like other decking materials, you must periodically clean composite wood of moss, mold, and mildew, especially if the deck is in the shade.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass is a popular option. It can be painted or stained, and it lasts forever.” Slip-resistant fiberglass panels overlap to form a continuous solid surface, which is beneficial when decking over a lower area needs to stay dry. Fiberglass deck panels do not rot, rust, or harbor mildew, making this material ideal for high-moisture conditions.
- Tropical hardwoods: Ipe and tigerwood are two common species of tropical hardwoods used for decking materials. These dense woods are difficult to cut and drill, but their density means that the deck’s longevity will beat that of pressure-treated lumber, redwood, and cedar. Although they are expensive, tropical hardwoods help both the deck and the home maintain value over the years, even into resale.
- Redwood and cedar: Redwood and cedar are softwood, mainly sourced from western states. These materials are a good compromise between expensive tropical hardwoods and pressure-treated wood. These kinds of wood are imbued with natural tannins and oils and do not require chemical preservatives.
- Pressure-treated wood: The most economical choice is pressure-treated wood. Southern yellow pine, which is pressure-injected with chemicals that help the wood resist rot and wood-boring insects, is popular. One disadvantage to pressure-treated wood decking is that the wood splinters easily and isn’t safe for walking on with bare feet. Be sure always to coat pressure-treated deck materials on top to extend their durability. Pressure-treated wood has become less popular for upper deck materials, though it is used for the lower structure.
When planning to renovate your deck consult your contractor for deck renovation ideas that would work with your space. Ultimately you want to create a deck that flows like an extension of your interior space, giving you the ability to bring the outdoors in.Create an expansive feel for your home.
If you want to be on-trend, on budget, and a stress-free experience, contact Structura Home and Deck remodeling, the top builder and designer for deck renovation in Los Angeles.
No job is too big or too small. Structura’s clients say that the Structura contractors are true artisans and deliver on every detail.
Call Structura today for a free in-home design estimate or a virtual video design estimate.
Structura Remodeling and Design- tops in Los Angeles. No job too big or too small. Let us design and build the home improvement and backyard patio ideas you have chosen to increase your home value.
Call Today 1800-922-4613 for a free in-home estimate.
Structura Remodel and Design Company…Dream. Design. Build.