Remodeling your bathroom is an exciting opportunity to transform an ordinary space into a haven of tranquility. Even so, it can be hard to know how to plan for a project of this size when there’s so many costs involved. From materials to project scope to fees and everything in between, it can get confusing pretty quickly. Having a knowledgeable contractor on your side like Structura Remodeling is sure to make the process simple as can be.
If you’re ready to make the bathroom of your dreams a reality, we’re ready to help! Learn more about Structura Remodeling, plus all the costs you need to consider when planning your Los Angeles bathroom remodel right here. Get ready to ditch your outdated bathroom and create a space primed for relaxation!
Signs Your Bathroom Needs Remodeling
Aesthetics aside, there’s some tell tale signs that your bathroom is probably in need of a remodel. Take a look at the list below and if your bathroom suffers from several of these issues, it’s time to start planning for updates.
- Cracked tilework: In the shower, on the floor, or the walls it can be dangerous.
- Stained or cracked tub: Could cause leaks or injury if its created sharp surfaces.
- Peeling paint: Excess moisture can cause peeling and damage to walls.
- Leaking fixtures: Leaking may cause water damage to surrounding surfaces.
- Rusty fixtures: A sign of serious wear and tear that’s not pleasing to the eye.
- Mold stains: Mold spores are likely still present if stains won’t go away.
- Safety hazards: Poor lighting, high tub threshold, and no grab bars are red flags.
- Plumbing issues: Corrosion of old piping could cause back ups or leaks.
- Electrical issues: New wiring decreases fire risk and offers more power.
- Uneven or damaged flooring: Slip and falls are common in bathrooms, even more so if you have ignored flooring issues.
Benefits of a Bathroom Remodel in Your Los Angeles Home
The benefits of a bathroom remodel go far beyond the obvious of improved aesthetics. There’s plenty of benefits that’ll have you ready to get your remodel started ASAP!
- ROI: The ROI, or return on investment, is how much you’ll gain in profit from your bathroom remodel when it comes time to sell. Remodeled bathrooms are a highlight of any home on the market; If you’re smart with the re-design and materials used, you’ll stand to gain a pretty penny on the other end.
- Efficiency: Older toilets, shower heads, and faucets don’t just pose an aesthetic problem but also an efficient one. They have a tendency to use more water and energy which can take a toll on your wallet and the environment. Replacing all main facets of your bathroom in the remodeling process stands to fix this issue.
- Functionality: Many bathrooms suffer from a lack of functionality whether that’s in the form of wasted space, lack of storage, or poor design. An amazing advantage of bathroom remodels is the ability to create a layout that remedies all three of those problems while making it completely customized to your style.
- Safety: Bathrooms have their fair share of hazards, especially when outdated. Old flooring, toilets, or pipes can cause leaks which lead to dangerous mold. Outdated tubs with high siding to step over are known to cause terrible falls. Updating is a benefit that helps mitigate these common risks.
6 Factors to Consider in Your Bathroom Remodel
Before you get started on your bathroom remodel, you’ll want to consider some factors that will greatly affect not only the finished product but the total cost. Keep these in mind throughout the planning process to ensure there’s no surprises in the end.
- Materials: Choosing the materials for a remodel is arguably the most fun part of the project. Selecting each and every color, texture, and wood grain allows you to create a bathroom that meets even the most intricate of visions. Even so, the most budget friendly materials will add up. Not to mention, some materials come at a much higher cost than others. For example, marble looks great in any bathroom but it’s likely to eat up a lot of your material budget. Likewise, you’ll have to prioritize materials like tubs, cabinetry, vanities, fixtures and the like; Especially if your project is a budget remodel.
- Scheduling: Start thinking about a timeframe when this project is actually feasible for you and your family. Picking a slower season will make the process a lot less stressful for all involved. Also, have in mind your expectations and timeline for the bathroom remodel and bring that to your contractor when you’re interviewing them. This gives them an idea of what you’re looking for and allows them to tell you what’s realistic based upon the scope of the work.
- Scope: Speaking of the scope of the work, you’ll need to think in depth about all aspects of your bathroom renovation. Begin to contemplate the design and materials. Are you wanting to move any walls to create more square footage? Will you switch out the tub? What fixtures will you install? From top to bottom, make a to-do list. If you’re unsure where to start, it’s best to consult your contractor. They will likely have a checklist and 3D software to help you make your final decisions on everything from wall color to flooring.
- Fee Structure: Fees pertaining to specific labor needs, the contractor, timeline overages and the like can send any well budgeted remodel into a tailspin. Structura Remodeling takes the guesswork out of the equation up front, utilizing a one lump sum contract price that puts others to shame. Unlike other contractors, they’re not looking to surprise you with fees or nickel and dime you when the moment presents itself. Their lump sum price includes the use of subcontractors, designers, project managers, labor, and rough materials with complete transparency on total costs.
Other contractors may have fees built into their contractor for project delays as well; Not so with Structura! If a delay causes them to go over the approximate timeline given for the project, there’s no fee. In fact, they pride themselves on being proactive in the pre-construction phase to mitigate this possibility altogether. By prepping material lists, requesting the homeowners selections, and pre-purchasing materials they’re able to avoid unnecessary delays that many other contractors would try to turn into a pay day.
- Budget: Finally, the budget is a key factor to consider, albeit not the most fun one. Your budget is going to be the driving force behind everything that happens in your bathroom remodel. What contractor you can afford, the type of materials, the scope of the project, literally everything! Know how much you can realistically spend on the project and from there, you can create a plan.
- Los Angeles Trends: When you remodel, it’s important to know what’s going on in your neighborhood with regard to trends. If you plan to stay in your house for good, then using any style and material you like is probably a safe bet. However, if it’s not your forever home and you plan to sell within the next five to ten years, it’s crucial to think ahead.
Find out what’s popular, what might attract most people, even aiming for materials that have always been timeless. That way, when you go sell your home your property has far more appeal. If you’re not sure what’s on trend in the Los Angeles area, your contractor can help! After all, they’re the ones involved in local building and remodeling. They can help direct you to the designs and styles that will stay on trend for years to come.
Components of a Bathroom Remodel in Los Angeles
When you’re in the planning process for your bathroom remodel, it can be helpful to know exactly what you’re planning for. Though basic, the list below will get you started when listing out all aspects of your project.
- Demo and cleanup work of old materials.
- Basic interior finishing materials (drywall, millwork, paint etc).
- Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work.
- New fixtures, faucets, toilet, vanity, cabinetry etc.
- New tilework and grout in the shower area.
- New flooring and flooring materials.
- Baseboards and trim.
Keep in mind, this list from top to bottom is assuming you’re gutting the bathroom for a full remodel. Not all of these elements will apply depending on the scope of your project.
Cost to Remodel a Bathroom in Los Angeles by Size
The most common way to measure the average cost to remodel a bathroom in Los Angeles is going to be by size. As you may have guessed, under most circumstances, the bigger the bathroom the bigger the cost. Though as with any remodel, that hinges on the finishing materials used. At any rate, you can get a basic idea of your remodel costs below based on the size of the bathroom you’re remodeling.
Half Bathroom or Powder Room – $8,000 to $10,000
- 1-2 fixtures
- Small vanity
Full Bathroom – $25,000 to $30,000
- 3-4 fixtures
- Small to midsize vanity
- Shower or tub
Primary Bathroom or Master Bathroom – $50,000 to $80,000
- 4-5 fixtures
- Dual sinks
- Dual vanity or separate vanities
- Tub and/or walk-in-shower
Cost to Remodel a Bathroom in Los Angeles by Finish Level
Your bathroom remodel cost can be estimated based on finish level too, not just size. Finish level referring to the type of materials used to complete the project. Are you going the budget route and re-finishing materials? Maybe you’re aiming on the higher end for all new vanities or luxury fixtures. Whatever your budget, the overall cost to remodel a bathroom in Los Angeles can be estimated by the finish levels below.
Budget Bathroom Remodel – $15,000 to $20,000
If you’re looking to remodel your Los Angeles bathroom but you’re working within a budget, you’ve still got plenty of options. For starters, the average price for a budget bathroom remodel falls between $15,000 and $20,000. The simplest way to stay within that range comes down to your material selections. Think engineered woods, paint, a replacement vanity countertop or hardware. All noticeable changes with huge impact.
Other examples include selecting prefabricated or re-purposed counters and cabinets. Focus on fixtures within your price range too, which shouldn’t be tough as they come in a wide variety of finishes and prices. Lighting fixtures are a good place to start. Often there are replicas of higher-end fixtures that will give you the feel you want at a more affordable price. The same goes for faucets, towel holders, and the like.
Mid-Range Bathroom Remodel – $25,000 to $30,000
With a more flexible renovation budget, you can really take things to the next level with a mid-range bathroom remodel. The average estimate for a mid-range bathroom remodel is approximately $25,000 to $30,000. Some of the differences you’ll see with a renovation at this price point are new, upgraded cabinetry, shower fixtures, and an expanded variety of counter and flooring materials.
For instance, the cost of certain tiles and stones for counters, flooring, and showers may now be well within reach. At the mid-range level you can replace a vanity, create more storage, tile the shower; You’ve got much more opportunity. These upgraded selections alone open up new design possibilities, especially when considering your bathroom’s overall flow and style.
High-End Bathroom Remodel – $75,000 to $100,000
If your budget isn’t holding you back at all, it’s time to create the bathroom of your dreams with a high-end bathroom remodel. The average estimate for a high-end bathroom renovation is between $75,000 and $100,000. The cool thing about a remodel of this magnitude is the complete transformation; Gutted to create your own oasis, it’ll be an entirely new room, particularly when it comes to space. You can increase the square footage of your bathroom, leaving behind the cramped space and impractical design.
With this new square footage you’ll be able to include both a stand-up shower and a soaking tub. Aside from the obvious material upgrades in stones, marbles and the like, you’ll get to hone in on the luxuries of high end fixtures, plumbing, and technology. Customize your shower with light, sound, and temperature settings programmable by you.
Add a rain shower with steam functions and mood lighting for a home spa experience. You could also choose to incorporate eco-friendly aspects like skylights, recycled materials, or an upgraded water heater. Top it off with a sauna, towel warmer, or heated towel racks and you’ve truly created an unbeatable bathroom experience.
Why choose Structura Remodeling for your remodeling project in Los Angeles?
You may be asking yourself why you should choose Structura Remodeling for your project. There’s no shortage of contractors to choose from, so what sets Structura apart? Here’s more than enough reasons to make Structura your number one choice:
- They have over 16 years of experience in the construction industry with the owner being a third generation contractor.
- Their team is made up of the most qualified individuals in the field, between designers and craftsmen, you’re working with the best in the business.
- They operate each project via a comprehensive process, starting with your vision, to full estimates, home design and the like.
- The company is extremely detail oriented, making your dreams come to life down to every cabinet pull and color. With the help of 3D renderings and project planning, you can be sure your vision will come to fruition.
- The level of professionalism on site is unparalleled. The team works to keep their work space clean while taking care of surrounding job site elements like pets, family schedules, and your possessions.
- Structura Remodeling truly cares about the customer’s experience and end result so much so that they always aim for 100% satisfaction with each customer.
- If all of these combined haven’t convinced you, let the reviews speak for themselves! Countless happy customers have rave reviews for Structura Remodeling!
Remodeling your bathroom is the perfect opportunity to create a relaxing retreat in your very own home. Whether you opt for a budget remodel or a higher end project with all the bells and whistles, the possibilities are endless. Don’t spend another day stuck in a bathroom you hate that doesn’t fit your needs.
Ready to get started on your bathroom remodel in 2023? We’re ready to assist! Get a FREE bathroom remodel consultation in the Los Angeles area! Call Structura Remodeling at 1-800-922-4613 or schedule a free consultation here:
Call Today 1800-922-4613 for a free in-home estimate.
Structura Remodel and Design Company…Dream. Design. Build.
*Serving Los Angeles county and surrounding areas*
Are permits needed to remodel a bathroom in the Los Angeles area?
Permits can be tricky seeing as they vary from city to city based on local requirements. Even so, if you’re doing a complete bathroom overhaul you can expect to need a permit. Especially if you’re moving walls or doing something to the structural integrity of the home.
Some contractors like to say if you have to open up any part of the wall, you probably need a permit. Regardless, this is where your contractor comes in handy. They know all the ins and outs of permitting, so you can rest assured your project will be up to all appropriate standards.
Can I finance my bathroom remodel?
Renovating a bathroom can be expensive but there’s plenty of financing options if you don’t have the cash on hand. Renovation loans are also fairly common; They offer fair requirements like low credit score and small down payments, so they’re a viable choice.
HELOCs or a home equity line of credit are also a great financing option for several reasons, no closing costs and lower interest rates being among a few. Government programs are another option. Though a little harder to navigate, they’re worth the hassle if you meet the loan requirements.
What’s the sequence for remodeling a bathroom?
After hiring your contractor and planning everything, you may be wondering how things progress from there. There’s a general sequence of events that happen during a bathroom remodel, the first being the demolition process. Your team will start gutting the bathroom, removing all old materials to make way for the new.
Next up after that is the plumbing. During this phase you may see a new shower pan installed or rerouting of plumbing pipes if you’re changing the bathroom’s layout. From there your team will start on electrical needs. Switching out circuits, moving vent fans, relocation of outlets, things of that nature.
Afterward, you’ll really start seeing things take shape as drywall and paint go up and tile can start being installed. Now it’s time to bring in the bigger pieces like fixtures, tubs, vanities and eventually the toilet.
How can I prepare my bathroom for remodel?
First things first, brainstorm your goals. Have an idea of the style and overall outcomes you’re looking for. This will help out a lot when it comes time to start interviewing contractors. You’ll be prepared to give them a snapshot of what you’re looking for while also determining if their timeline, skill level, and fee fit your needs.
Once you’ve decided on a contractor and agreed on a start date, it’s time for you to prep the space for work. Move everything out of the bathroom to avoid delays on the start date. Moveable furnishings, shower curtains, toiletries, bath mats, get it all out of the way. Don’t forget to clean out spaces inside of the cabinets or drawers as well.
Is there part of a bathroom remodel that’s most expensive?
There’s many opinions on which part of a bathroom remodel ends up being most expensive. Most would say labor, but the cost of labor is just the cost of getting things done right, not really an aspect of the actual remodel process. That said, plumbing turns out to be one of the more expensive parts of a bathroom remodel.
Fitting pipes and handling the main waste line or even moving it means a lot of work for the plumber and contractor alike. Rearranging the layout also comes at a high cost if you’re having to move water sources, walls, and other permanent fixtures.